If we can encourage others, we should encourage them. Romans 12:8

Sunday, November 23, 2014

“Even when we do dumb things God still has us covered.”
Pastor Joel Osteen, Lakewood Church Saturday November 22, 2014



Joke:
A woman asks to sit in the very front of church. The usher says “You don’t want to sit in front; the pastor is very boring.” The woman says “Do you know who I am? I’m the pastor’s mother.” The usher asks “Do you know who I am?” and when the mother says no the usher says “Praise the Lord”.

Key Scripture:
Titus 3:5
he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

COVERED BY MERCY

We all make mistakes.
It’s easy to live guilty.
Live with regret.
Joel talked to a man who got off course in his business, and in his marriage.
He said “It’s my fault; I brought the problem on myself.”
We can understand God blessing us when we do what’s right.
The beauty of mercy is even when we make mistakes God will not only bring you out, He’ll help clean up the mess you made.
That relationship you weren’t supposed to get into…
Perhaps a job you knew you weren’t supposed to take…
God doesn’t say "Maybe next time you'll listen".
God’s mercy is bigger than that mistake.
He’ll cause something good to come out of it.
But you can’t sit around feeling guilty, beating yourself up for past mistakes.
It takes a lot of boldness to believe that God will still bless you in spite of your mistakes.
The enemy will tell you that you don’t deserve it.
“who do you think you are?”
God told Jonah to go to Nineveh but Jonah went in the opposite direction. [Jonah 1]
Huge storm on the boat.
Jonah acknowledged that he was the problem.
They threw him overboard.
It looked like it was over.
He was getting what he deserved.
God said Jonah you can run away, but you can’t outrun My mercy.
Psalmist said you can never get away from God’s mercy. [Psalm 136] [Psalm 139]
God’s always there, ready to give you another chance.
Got you covered with mercy.
Jonah felt guilty.
But God has a way even when we don’t see a way.
Be encouraged; God already has the solution.
He knows how to bring you out better off than you were.
A huge fish swallowed Jonah.
Saved from the storm but into another mess.
His thoughts told him “Jonah you’re getting what you deserved”.
But Jonah began to pray. [Jonah 2]
I cried to the Lord in my trouble Jonah 2:2
Declaring the answer while still in the trouble.
Jonah 2:3-9
You threw me into the ocean depths,
    and I sank down to the heart of the sea.
The mighty waters engulfed me;
    I was buried beneath your wild and stormy waves.
Then I said, ‘O Lord, you have driven me from your presence.
    Yet I will look once more toward your holy Temple.’

“I sank beneath the waves,
    and the waters closed over me.
    Seaweed wrapped itself around my head.
I sank down to the very roots of the mountains.
    I was imprisoned in the earth,
    whose gates lock shut forever.
But you, O Lord my God,
    snatched me from the jaws of death!
As my life was slipping away,
    I remembered the Lord.
And my earnest prayer went out to you
    in your holy Temple.
Those who worship false gods
    turn their backs on all God’s mercies.
But I will offer sacrifices to you with songs of praise,
    and I will fulfill all my vows.
    For my salvation comes from the Lord alone.”

Notice his prayer is in past tense like it’s already done.
Lord I know You’ll rescue me, clean up the mistakes, and bring me out better off.
Human nature sits on the sidelines feeling guilty.
God I believe You’ll still bless me.
God doesn’t say Who do you think you are?
God will do for you what He did for Jonah.
The fish spit him out immediately.
God can set you free in a split second.
God doesn’t want to just bring you out;
He’ll give you another chance to get to where you’re supposed to be.
You didn’t miss your destiny just because you made mistakes.
Jonah 3:1 Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time:
God will always give you another chance to fulfill His best plan for your life.
It’s not too late for you to become your best.
If you’ll do your part the right doors will open.
God knows how to make up for lost time.
Jonah made a mistake but it didn’t stop his destiny.
MY MERCY IS BIGGER THAN THAT MISTAKE.
I STILL WANT YOU TO FULFILL THE BEST PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE.
Maybe you’ve made mistakes.
Blown your marriage, failed in business.
You can rise up like Jonah did and say God I know salvation comes from You alone.
When you have that attitude God will give you another chance.
God has you covered.
I STILL WANT YOU TO ACCOMPLISH YOUR DREAMS.
I STILL HAVE A DESTINY FOR YOU TO FULFILL.
We can all look back and see times where we made the mess but God cleaned it up.
Or we were unfaithful and should’ve lost our marriage but God restored the family.
People think we’re blessed because we did everything right.
No we made a wrong turn like Jonah but God turned it around.
There were some mountains we knew we weren’t supposed to climb.
Half way up we realized this isn’t what I thought it would be.
I thank God for bringing me off mountains I never should’ve been on.
A business deal came along that was so appealing Joel knew he wanted it.
There were little small signs that something wasn’t right.
He ignored the warnings because he wanted it so badly.
It never took off.
They invested a lot and always struggled.
God tried to warn him.
He felt the unrest but didn’t listen.
If we only got what we deserved none of us would fulfill our destiny.
When they finally decided to get rid of the business against all odds someone bought the business at twice what was expected.
God knows how to make miracles out of our mistakes.
The accuser will tell you that you’re done.
You pursued the wrong dream.
You’re in over your head.
God will take your wrong and make it right.
God has mercy for that mistake.
Covered by mercy means you’re not just protected when you do everything right.
Even when we do dumb things God still has us covered.
Joel read about a 21 yr old man raised in church who got off course.
Had way too much to drink one night.
Accepted dare to climb telephone pole.
Lost his footing and fell while 40 feet up in the air.
His belt caught on to a pole and saved him.
Fire department rescued him.
Newspaper headline read “Pants Saved Drunk Man from Fall”.
If it’s not your time to go you’re not going to go.
Quit fighting the call of God on your life.
God’s calling is irrevocable.
God wants you.
You can try to run and hide but when you’re all done God is saying I want you to go to Nineveh.
You have an assignment.
If you don’t do your part the world won’t be as bright as it should.
This doesn’t mean we can live sloppily.
When you have a relationship with His son Jesus you want to do right.
You’re not trying to see how much you can get away with.
Titus 3:5
His mercy isn’t based on our performance.
How many times did God save us from the dumb things we’ve done?
Every morning Joel thanks God for his goodness, favor, etc.
But he always follows up by thanking Him for his mercy.
The times God protected him that he knew nothing about.
There are many times we can’t see it but God is holding back the forces of darkness;
Causing things to work out for our advantage.
Not just when we perform perfectly.
Even when we mess up.
And say God leave me alone.
You may run away from Him but He’ll come running towards you.
Some think they’ve missed it but you’re not that powerful.
That mistake is not too much for the mercy of God.
Nothing you’ve done has to keep you from God,
Dr Jon Redmond is a pastor friend who knew a lady who got very depressed.
She decided to end her life on a Saturday night.
Her dog always slept with her.
This day the dog was scratching to get out and somehow hit the remote and Joel came on TV.
The woman knew it wasn’t a coincidence.
She went to church the next day and got back on track.
God’s mercy is bigger than the poor choices we can make.
God can use a dog to get you back on track.
When God promised Abraham that he and Sarah would have a baby years went by.
Sarah got tired of waiting and told her husband to sleep with her maid. [Genesis 16]
Ishmael was the son of Abraham and the maid Hagar.
Sarah got mad at Abraham.
Sarah got jealous of Hagar.
Either that woman leaves or I leave.
Hagar was sent out into the desert.
God could’ve said Sarah it’s your own fault.
Even though she did something dumb it did not cancel out the promise.
They made a big mess of things but God made a miracle out of the mistake. [Genesis 17]
Hagar didn’t do anything wrong.
But she’s out in the desert with her son that everyone called a mistake.
God showed up and said I’ll make a nation out of your son. [Genesis 16:10]
I won’t let others poor choices ruin your life.
Ishmael couldn’t choose his parents.
Hagar didn’t ask to have a baby with Abraham.
Maybe someone caused you trouble.
Other people’s mistakes aren’t going to ruin your life.
Nothing you’ve done has disqualified you.
Like Jonah maybe you made a wrong turn.
But God will turn it around and use it for your advantage.
Quit listening to the accuser.
God’s got you covered.
You will still fulfill your destiny
You will still become all you were created to be in Jesus name.

PRAYER

ALTAR CALL

DISCLAIMER: I am not a member of Joel Osteen Ministries. I am a member of Lakewood Church sharing my personal notes from the message delivered at church in order to be a blessing.

Watch the message at http://www.lakewoodchurch.com/pages/watch-online.aspx while available.


Anointed Messages is the ministry. Anointed Messenger is the person who delivers the messages. God is the Source. Visit my website. AnointedMessages.com

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your notes and God's message

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Anonymous, thanks for expressing your gratitude.

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful Joel's sermon. Thank you Joel and may God bless you. Your teaching is truly magnifying and glorifying God. I was really touched His mercy and goodness. Joel, thank you again !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God Jung-Shil Hutchison! I'm so glad you were blessed by Joel's message. Please note this isn't Joel's blog, but me sharing my personal notes taken from the message. May God continue to bless you.

      Delete
  3. Another powerful message from Joel. Thank you very much ! God is magnified and glorified by this sermon. I am very touched by his mercy. May God bless you abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your Godly notes from the message "Covered by Mercy!" Thank God for new mercies each day. Blessings and Favor!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you; please share your thoughts.

Anointed Messages